English If Clauses Type 2, Definiton and Example Sentences
- Type 2 is used to think of the opposite of an event that is happening in the present or in the future, to put forward a condition and to express the result of this imaginary condition.
- Therefore, the tense that we can use must be a bit more past than the tense that we will use to express the truth.
- Ifshe knew the answer, she would win the prize. ( but she doesn’t know the answer)
- Ifhe had enough experience fort he job, the boss could hire him. ( but he doesn’t )
- IfI had your phone number, I would call you. ( but I don’t have your phone number)
- Ifyou came to the party, we would have a lot of fun. ( but you don’t come to the party)
- IfI were a rich man, I would buy a home like palace. ( but I am poor)
- IfI could speak english very well, I would look for a job in foreign companies. ( but I can’t)
- Ifhe had time, he would study well for his exam. ( but he doesn’t have time)
- Ifit didn’t rain, we would go on a picnic. ( but it is raining)
- Ifmy house was in the forest, I would walk constantly in the green. ( but my house doesn’t in the forest)