English If Clauses Type 3, Definiton and Example Sentences
- In Type 3, it is used to reverse the events that occurred in the past, to put forward a condition and to express the result of that condition.
- It is usually used for sentences that express complaints.
- If he had talked to me, I would have listened to him. ( but he didn’t talk to me )
- If it had rained last weekend, we would have stayed at home. ( but it didn’t rain last weekend)
- If she had saved enough money, she would have bought a new bicycle. ( but she didn’t save enough money )
- If it had been a huge explosion, so many people couldn’t have been affected. ( but it is huge explosion so many people affected)
- If the student had listened to the teacher carefully, he would have answered the questions easily. ( but he didn’t )
- If I had guessed the future, I would have taken some precautions against what would happen. ( but I didn’t guess)
- If she had found his phone number, she might have calledh im for the party. ( but she didn’t find it)