30 Adverbs, Definition and Example Sentences
by chance, inadvertently
- The gold mine in Africa was found accidentally.
- She accidentally hit her with the car.
in fact, originally, really, indeed
- I actually warned you about this before.
- Well… actually, I’m very tired.
at all times, on all occasions.
- I always agree with you. Do not forget it.
- She always does that.
every year, once a year
- The meeting takes place annually.
- The Champions League final is held annually.
- The police watched the incident anxiously.
- .The teacher asked anxiously.
- What they did to my father yesterday was so arrogantly.
- He entered the class arrogantly.
in an ungainly manner, clumsily, lubberly
- What the intern did was very awkwardly.
- That would be awkward.
nicely, fine, prettily
- Jennifer Aniston was dressed beautifully.
- The dancers performed beautifully.
in an angry, hurt, poignantly
- In World War II, countries fought bitterly.
- Her daughter cried bitterly.
boldly, courageously, valiantly
- He went up to him and apologized bravely.
- Don’t be a coward, if you do it bravely, you‘ll succeed.
definitely, absolutely, strictly
- You certainly make a good-looking footballer.
- It will certainly rain today.
occurring every day or every weekday
- Hi my son, tell me about your daily life.
- My kids drink milk daily.
- The judge, accused of theft, looked doubtfully.
- He approached the police doubtfully.
readily, with ease, smoothly, without difficulty
- My father does not cry easily.
- George gets tired easily.
particularly, in particular, specially, exclusively
- The government should take steps, especially on global warming.
- I especially like to go on vacation in summer.
- It’s fairly cold today.
- The judge acted fairly.
usually, in most cases
- In general, I agree with my boss.
- In general, I am pleased with my situation.
very, too, much, so, many
- We are greatly impressed.
- It made him greatly uncomfortable to talk like that.
in a happy way
- The baby smiled happily.
- My sister sang happily.
In a way that provides help
- The teacher gave her name and then helpfully spelt it.
- The police suggested, helpfully.
eagerly, on tiptoe
- He began to work keenly.
- The cat wagged its tail eagerly.
- He failed miserably.
in a way that is difficult to understand
- The detective was found mysteriously murdered.
inherently, intrinsically, as a matter of course
- He can speak French very naturally.
formally, on the record
- The World War was officially over.
- The winner will be officially announced tomorrow.
many times, frequently
- She often reads book.
- I often suffer from headaches
quietly, gingerly, soft, stepwise, in quiet
- The gardener slowly began to water the garden.
- The Governor spoke slowly.
abruptly, all of a sudden, sharp, at once, short
- The economy suddenly began to deteriorate.
- He interrupted us suddenly.
in a thankful manner
- Thankfully, he wasn’t injured in the accident.
unawares, unbeknownst, unbeknown
- He left the school unexpectedly.
- The light came on unexpectedly.
- Unfortunately, everyone died in the accident.
- Unfortunately, my son did not pass the exam.