13 Ways to Say BUT, Synonym Words For BUT
Although means “in spite of something”. It can be used at the beginning or in the middle of a sentence, but it doesn’t have a comma afterwards.
- Although he is rich, he has no girl friend.
- Although studying French seems difficult, it’s simpler than you think.
- Although they have a lot of money, they’re still not happy.
We can express a contrast by using the adverb however with two sentences. It is always followed by a comma.
- He was feeling very ill. However, he went to school.
- Some people disagree with this idea, however, it’s never been proven right.
- She is the best student in school. However, she doesn’t do homeworks on time.
We can express a contrast by using the adverb nevertheless with two sentences. It is always followed by a comma.
- He was feeling very ill. Nevertheless, he went to work.
- Some people disagree with this theory, nevertheless, it’s never been proven right.
- The weather was sunny; nevertheless, we didn’t go outside.
on the other hand
It is used when talking about an event, situation or action and vice versa. The use of this is also like. On the other hand pattern appears in books, criticism, novels, essays and poems. Learning this pattern, which is generally used in daily life, will also help to speak English easily. Now let’s look at the example sentences about the use of the on the other hand pattern;
- I want to go to eat, but on the other hand I have to study hard.
- I want to sleep at home, but on the other hand, I have to get into work and earn money.
- I want to play football outside, but on the other hand, I have to iron at home.
Still means that something is ongoing, hasn’t finished particularly when it was expected to finish earlier.
- Is your father still at the same company?
- The baby is still crying.
- I am still doing my work.