How to Use Had Better, Prefer and Would Rather, Example Sentences
Prefer; In contrast to ‘would rather’ prefers refer to general preference, not current ones. Prefer is followed by a verb in the -ing form and ‘to’.
- I preferbicycle to motorcycle.
- Do we preferdrinking tea to coffee ?
- They would preferyou coming tomorrow.
- I preferworking to doing nothing.
Would rather; is use to say that one person would prefer another or others to something. Would rather is followed by the bare infinitive and than.
- I would rather have coffee than tea.
- I wouldrather not go out tonight.
- I would rather watch the movie at home.
- I wouldratherhave breakfast.
Had better; is used to give advice. It is romed with the bare infinitive (without to). Follow the list for examples;
- Hadwe betterlet him know?
- They had better choose a cheaper hotel.
- You had better not cry.
- We had better review all subjects before the math exam.