Articles in English. A, an, the;
A, An, The. They precede the nouns and are used in undefined expressions.
- A / an is used only with countable singular nouns. Those who start with the consonant letter have “a” tag at the beginning of the word, and nouns that begin with a vowel that will have ”an” tag at the beginning of the word.
- A / an is usually used when expressing what an object is. We cannot use countable singular nouns alone.
Example Sentences with Articles
- I saw an accident of a car.
- That is an excellent pencil.
- Alex is training to be an engineer.
- I need a kilogram of salt.
If we are talking about a specific object, “the” is used. Countable singular or plural and can be used with all uncountable nouns.
If we are talking about an unknown object or person a / an, but if specified, “ the” is used.
- Yesterday, I bought a blouse and a skirt. The blouse was surprisingly cheap, but the skirt was more expensive.
- The movie is perfect.